During last night's seminar, we had the opportunity to talk with a panel of parents about their views on education. [Just as a side note, I would have been interested to talk with parents who were not educators themselves. I think that being an educator gives a person a very different view on education, and two of the three parents were teachers at one point in their lives.] It was an interesting point of view, and I was glad we were able to hear their thoughts. I found their opinions about standardized testing especially interesting. They seemed to think it had good intentions but could not find the value in it. This was quite contrary to the opinions of most of the teachers we have talked with.
It was good to hear about the value parents place on communication between parents and teachers. This is another topic that makes me think, "There is so much that goes into teaching!" I think that's what makes it such a unique and special profession. A teacher does not just teaching kids math or science or music. A teacher is a mentor, a leader, an example. A teacher communicates with students, parents, colleagues, administration. A teacher's responsibilities are endless. And I think that it takes a person who is passionate about all areas of his or her profession to be a truly great teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I also found it interesting that the parents had a different view on the standardized testing than the teachers/administrators did. I'm trying to imgine myself as a parent, and I can see how just being shown a chart would not help me understand my child's performance in school. I would much rather see examples of their work, or hear the teacher's opinion of my child, not the opinion of the test.
Post a Comment