They say college is a time to find yourself. A time to discover who you are and what you want to be. That's all well and good. But there seems to be a counteracting pressure to know exactly what you want to do with your life...right now. Choosing a major seems so overwhelming and final. Yet, does choosing a major necessarily mean choosing a career? For some people, yes. I think I'm beginning to learn that I am not a career-minded person.
I want to do so much with my life. I used to think becoming a music educator was one of those aspirations. However, through the experiences I've had in this class and Intro. to Music Education, I have drifted toward the conclusion that perhaps teaching just isn't for me.
When I think about dropping the education minor, I get this feeling of, "Now how am I going to do great things with my life?" Teaching is a noble profession. I commend anyone who can do it...and do it well. But I need to remind myself that teaching is not the only way to touch people's lives. And that's what I want. Ultimately, I want to make a difference. I want to impact someone's life. I'm not sure exactly how I'll do that. All I know is...I will.

1 comment:
I definately agree with you that there is a pressure to know right now what we want to do for the rest of our lives. Especially for music majors, if we don't know when we're 18 that we want to major in music, then we're condisered "behind" and will be at Luther for five years. We decide what we want to do for the rest of our lives when we're still teenagers. That's kind of scary to think about! I know that you will figure out what you will major in. Maybe studying in Peru next semester will give you time to sort everything out!
Post a Comment