Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What? Teachers Matter??














Today's group discussion raised the question of how teachers impact students. Chapter 3 of our text talks about the various factors that can impact the life and development of adolescents. Teachers happen to be one of those factors. The author says that "the first and most important task of the teacher is to educate...but the teachers are the main adults in students' lives for many hours each week." It's a little frightening to think that I, as an educator, could someday have that much of an influence on a student's life. To be the primary adult figure in his or her life is a scary thought. So how do we live up to this huge role? Perhaps it's much simpler than it seems. I think we just need to care. We need to care by not giving up on students, by showing them compassion and how to be compassionate.

Some people would argue that it isn't the teacher's responsibility to teach morals or to teach about compassion. This might be true, but the reality is: For some students, teachers are the only adults in their lives who can offer than guidance to them. This is an overwhelming truth. It's the reason why we as teachers or future teachers need to keep ourselves in check. If we are always evaluating the impact we are making on students, we will successfully guide them in the right direction. What a responsibility. Yet, what an honor.

When I think of the awkward period of adolescence, I don't necessarily relate my personal or moral development to certain people. I relate it to events that occurred during that time. It seems that the things I did or the experiences I had shaped me the most. But when I look beyond the surface, it was the people behind those experiences that had the biggest influence on me.

Some teachers and adults in my life have had a huge, lasting impact on me. By their example, they have helped to shape me into who I am and who I want to be. Others have showed me who I don't want to be. Is that valuable?

Above are some photos of me with some of the music educators who have made an impact in my life during high school. I have taken something from each of them...some more than others. But ultimately, I am thankful that they were willing to dedicate themselves, their lives, and their careers to making a difference. They realized that teachers matter in the lives of students. And their work makes students matter. Then students become teachers. Who matter...

No comments: